Become.com is a global leader in online comparison shopping. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, CA, with offices in Tokyo, Karlsruhe and Milan, Become.com operates numerous shopping sites and has 185 employees worldwide.
Vice President, US Comparison Shopping and Online Marketing, Dec 2011 - Present
Responsible for US P&L as well as global traffic generation and marketing. Key member of executive team.
US Comparison Shopping
Global Online Marketing
- Oversee team of 10 FTEs in Account Management, Sales and Business Development Functions
- Responsible for multi-million dollar US P&L
- Coordinate all US product efforts, both B2C and B2B, with Product and Engineering Departments
- Manage a team of 35 FTEs across the SEM, SEO and Display Media functions across three geographies: US, EU and JP
- Administer a multi-million dollar annual SEM budget consisting of a keyword portfolio of millions of keywords across top search engines
- Involved in key optimization meetings with Google Adwords, Google Adsense, Yahoo!
- Direct SEO strategy for across Search Engines in multiple geographies; part of this includes re-launching sites and making significant product improvements in order to increase search engine traffic
- Heavily involved in produce development to optimize SEM systems in order to increase campaign margins
- Project manage to prioritize key revenue generating projects through coordination with multiple departments
Senior Director, Business Development & Sales, Jan 2010 - Nov 2011
Maintained ownership of all business development, sales and account management efforts for the US comparison shopping business while also taking leadership for the Company’s newest business unit.
Business Development & Merchant Sales
- Part of Executive Team. Oversee key metrics for the organization and involved in developing and executing the Company’s strategic direction.
- Proposed a new line of business for the Company. Wrote business and rollout plan. Received C-Level and Board
- approval to pursue building and overseeing Rubybag.com, an e-Commerce play in the jewelry space.
- Launched initiative 30 days ahead of schedule, 50% below budget.
Marketing & Industry Involvement.
- Increased Revenue per Click (RPC) by 11% resulting in highest RPC since the Company’s inception.
- Doubled size of sales team to 4 resulting in record breaking numbers of new accounts (on average 50+ per month). Sales strategy developed in the US has been rolled out in international markets.
- Developed and oversaw Company’s retargeting strategy increasing revenue by 1%.
- Grew margin of white label syndication business by 23% YoY by making significant improvements to the productand introducing a quality score mechanism.
- Launched new advertising product across display media network by negotiating DFA agreement, coordinating with engineering and SEM teams, negotiating media buys on various networks like Valueclick, Casale, CPX, 24-7 Real Media
- Created, developed and launched Company’s new Shop on the Go mobile certification program. This was a link building initiative that resulted in multiple links from PR5+ sites. Also facilitated purchase of url shoponthego.com and filed trademarks for Shop on the Go.
- Spoke at two major industry events: Search Engine Strategies and Channel Advisor Summit; Filmed two segments on ABC’s A View from the Bay as featured online shopping expert.
- Negotiated and signed deal with a large white label partner in Japan. Partner has become highest revenue generating partner in that geography.
- Identified key business challenges in the Company’s UK division. Worked cross-functionally to repair key issues.
- Created global syndication manual to distribute to partners making it easier to close multi-geo deals.
Director, Business Development & Sales, Aug 2008 - Dec 2010
Managed a team of 10 FTEs responsible for all business development, sales and account management efforts for the US comparison shopping market. Member of the Company’s executive staff team.
Account Management & Sales
- Oversaw management of 1,500+ direct retailer relationships, 20+ white label partnerships, as well as 30+ agency
- partners including Google Adsense, PriceGrabber, Shopping.com, Valueclick, Commission Junction and Linkshare.
- Personally responsible for large accounts such as Amazon, Overstock and Dell.
- Executed current retailer-centric 2009 holiday strategy resulting in a 37% boost to revenue.
Marketing & Product Development
- Launched display ads business unit for company contributing to 5% revenue growth at 100% margin.
- Negotiated syndication deals which resulted in doubling the Company’s white label business revenue.
- Oversaw creation and deployment of all B2B marketing materials and messaging. Weekly blasts to retailer partner resulted in an open rate of over 48%.
- Launched personal shopping blog around finding the best deals online – http://therealdeal.become.com.
- Managed planning and development of 9 key product launches, most significantly Become’s merchant dashboard tool. After launch, the tool received industry acclaim and was rolled out in our Japanese market.
BROADSPAN COMMERCE, NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ , Oct 2007 - March 2008
Asked by Chairman of Finally Content to evaluate and turnaround a $6 million online retailer of home furnishings that had become insolvent due to gross mismanagement. Held P&L responsibility.
FINALLY CONTENT, NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ, Sept 2006 - Sept 2007
- Chose to file chapter 11 reorganizational bankruptcy, bringing the company to profitability in first month.
- Repaired relationships with key vendors resulting in a 5% increase in gross margins and established credit terms despite being in bankruptcy.
- Implemented KPIs, weekly management and monthly company meetings to monitor the business and raise morale.
- Revamped accounting system to accurately track profitability down to the individual order.
- Closed the loop on outstanding orders and overhauled fulfillment process resulting in a 37.5% reduction in outstanding customer orders.
CEO and Co-Founder
Oversaw day-to-day operations and overall firm strategy for online publisher of niche, consumer focused content sites.
UBS INVESTMENT BANK, NEW YORK, NY, Summer 2005
- Directly oversaw all efforts related to setting up a company: capital acquisition, incorporation, accounting system,
- legal agreements, HR documents, benefits packages, and corporate messaging and branding.
- Hired and managed a team of four full time professionals and over 40 outsourced partners.
- Developed and streamlined the process of launching, promoting and maintaining a niche portal resulting in multiple
- site launches such as www.onheadphones.com and www.microphonereviews.com.
- Developed and implemented KPIs for weekly management meetings to track business progress.
- Executed in-house and outsourced Search Engine Marketing (SEO) campaigns resulting in top 10 Google rankings.
- Setup testing to optimize on-site revenues resulting in changes to ad placement (+80%) and ad networks (+145%).
- Successfully implemented online guerilla marketing techniques such as contest promotion, review seals, free and exclusive content, social networks and communities, and link building campaigns.
Equity Research Summer Associate – Restaurants and Packaged Foods Group
Analyzed company earnings, conducted field research, built financial models and co-wrote research reports.
- Assisted with the initiation of coverage on six packaged food stocks including Kraft and Hershey.
- Received offer for full-time employment.
2001 – 2004
NAKED JUICE COMPANY, NEWARK, NJ, 2001 - 2004
East Coast Marketing Manager
- Oversaw marketing initiatives for Eastern sales division of Naked Juice brand.
- Part of core team that launched and developed the Naked Juice brand on the East Coast resulting in sales growth from $0 to $34+ million in three years.
- Managed and developed team of marketing coordinator and seven part-time marketing representatives.
- Streamlined pricing across third-party distributors, direct store delivery, and warehouse direct channels.
- Organized quarterly sales manager meetings to review accomplishments and identify business opportunities among seven divisions.
- Executed regional market penetration plan which resulted in 400+ new accounts.
- Negotiated brand authorizations in food service channel resulting in a 40% increase in segment sales volume.
- Designed regional event strategy to support corporate marketing initiatives; increased consumer awareness by 35% in 12 month period through guerilla marketing campaigns and trade show participation.
- Gathered, analyzed and disseminated IRI/SPINS data to better understand category and brand trends.
HARVARD BUSINESS SCHOOL, BOSTON, MA, 2004-2006
Masters in Business Administration. Elected Section Historian.
BRANDEIS UNIVERSITY, WALTHAM, MA, 1997-2001
Bachelor of Arts in History, cum laude, with minors in French, Spanish, and Italian. Completed degree in 3.5 years.
Completed junior year fall semester at the School for International Training in Geneva, Switzerland
Traveling, foreign language (conversant in French, Italian, Spanish and Hebrew), discount shopping, running (completed San Jose marathon in Oct 2009) and cooking